March 12, 2014

if you wanna practice your norwegian, go to sweden.

Sweden is nice. It also, conveniently, is very close to Trondheim!

A two-hour train ride directly east will land you at the border, and another two hours will take you to Østersund--a nice little town next to a very, very large lake (which at the moment is kind of frozen).

Vincent and I went there for the weekend. To relax and see a new place*.

As most of you know, I do not enjoy eating out. Salad and french fries is a common theme. And for whatever reason, such meals fail to impress. In fact, finding suitable food is one of the most stressful part about traveling for me**. Just ask Vincent.

So you can imagine how happy I was when I sat down to a most delightful meal at a restaurant called Sir Winston. Of course it helped that they served delicious ales from a local microbrewery. Even so, I have to admit it is a meal I won't forget anytime soon. Also, the servers were fantastic. They even spoke Swedish to us the whole night, which was highly amusing because we were speaking our advanced beginner Norwegian. But they stuck it out with us and we left very pleased with ourselves. I guess if you wanna practice Norwegian, you should go to Sweden.

Another Østersund highlight is that it lies on the edge of a very large "frozen" lake. I use the "frozen" loosely. As you can see, the lake was only frozen in parts, even though this didn't seem to deter anyone from walking, skiing, biking, and playing with their dog on it.

Swedes are cuuurazy!

Vincent and I even managed a couple of kilometers on it without perishing into the icy depths!

Photos of our adventures can be seen here. We highly recommend Østersund as a weekend trip away.

Next weekend, we are off to another Swedish destination--the ski town of Åre--with Erik and Lene. Fingers crossed there is snow. This may be THE chance I have this year to try skiing!



* And we figured that since we were there, we should also drink cheap, but absolutely delicious, beer and buy groceries.
** Not counting, of course, the intense and very real fear of flying I now enjoy.

No comments: