August 10, 2009

What a lovely day to run to the beach...

Well folks, the largest running event on the planet has come and gone...fairly successfully, I might add. Vincent and I woke up early (but not as early as for the Bay Run) and headed our way to the city to meet our partners-in-running-crime, Isabelle and Erik. They, awesomely, live not far from the start line--which proved VERY useful when the bag-check proved a fiasco and we had to drop our stuff back at their apartment.

But no matter, we were destined to be awesome--and as the gatorade flowed through the streets....my shoes got very sticky and all the cups got caught up in everyone's stride. Wahoo! Race Day!

We started together. We did. But after about two minutes we lost each other--well, Isabelle and I lost Erik and Vincent. Boys. Sheesh. Whatever, it's hard to keep tabs on people when you're surrounded by thousands upon thousands of others.

*look at all the people by the church!

There was a rock band.

And Superman.

And Spiderman.

And Batman...wait, no batman, but we did see a superhero personal trainer, which should count for something (especially because Vincent and I saw him at last week's race too!).

I took some photos along the way--not that you can get any appreciation for the absolute chaos that was this race.
A nice man took my photo along the 11kms-ish mark. They couldn't believe I'd stop to take a photo. I explained that I never get to see this part of the city. And anyway, I'm not very fast.
There was a band playing a trombone, tuba, and a saxophone...I even think there were some really fluffy dogs nearby.

At the end, we got medals! MEDALS!

And miraculously, we all caught up with each other around the P-marker. This was my biggest worry because only one of us had a cell phone. (In reality, that was okay though b/c there were so many people the race advised that there'd be blackouts on cell phone use--and we all know how much that'd would irritate Lindsay if she ran 14kms (8.5 miles) with a phone and at the end couldn't use it).

The afternoon ended with greasy yakisoba and beer. Too good people, TOO GOOD.

A repeat is scheduled for next year. Please call ahead if you'd like to join.

1 comment:

PK said...

What a simply marvelous experience!