April 1, 2009

Melbourne...

Because most the readers are native english speakers, I figured I would write in english (well at least try to). And my fellow french friends know english well enough to understand me.

I went to Melbourne on tuesday morning to work for a branch of Publicis, called Mojo. Mojo deals with the website graphics and they needed a developer to work on an application for Qantas. Because Digitas is the programming branch of publicis, I went to Melbourne to help them finish the project.

I am currently at work, in South Bank, a very nice area of the city. The company is next to the river and close to a nice pedestrium with lots of restaurants and shops. Also, the hotel I am staying at is a 3 minutes walk to the company which is great. And, because there aren't many people staying there at the moment I got an upgrade!

- a living room with a big flat screen TV, couches, big table and its 6 chairs around it
- a kitchen with oven, microwave, fridge, toaster, coffee maker...
- 2 bathrooms with washing machine, dryer, shower and bath
- 2 rooms, with 2 big beds and a TV in one -- you guessed that I slept in the one with the TV :)
- a balcony

I have to agree that this room is a little too big for me, but I am not complaining.

The work is interesting. We are building an application for Qantas that will ask Australians what they like or admire. Then Qantas will analyze these data and display a graphic map of Australia with what people like or admire depending on where they live. It does not seem clear, I know...
Along with that, the application will regularly retrieve data from Twitter and Blogger (Google) and parse the data to only keep the ones with the word love in it, or admire. I am working on this part, retrieving the data from these apps and parsing them to display only the ones we need.

So yeah pretty cool application, and Melbourne is quite nice so far. Weather is great too, while it's pouring rain in Sydney hehe. I will be there for about 4 weeks.

Peace out!

3 comments:

Kyle Duarte said...

Yay for work and fun. Is Lindsay going to come to visit you in Melbourne? And are you coming to the States?

Unknown said...

Yeah I know right! Sheesh, he couldn't even stand me for four months without needing a break. ;) It's fine though b/c soon after I'll be leaving him-- gotta be equal and all. At the moment, I think I'll be going down for a few weeks in mid-April!! woop woop. I hope he keeps the same hotel room, lol.

Julie Hochgesang said...

oh my gosh, i thought this was by linzi at first and was wondering what could be in the Australian beer that made her so technical-smart. Whew, my world hasn't turned upside down after all.... sounds very cool, Vincent, ever take a look at our cool program? ELAN?